Page 14, 29th January 1937

29th January 1937
Page 14
Page 14, 29th January 1937 — LEXDEN'S CHURCH The Opening Ceremony
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: Catholic Social Guild
People: Essex

Share


Related articles

A Hundred Years At Colch Ester Works And Workers In...

Page 15 from 26th February 1937

Brevities

Page 15 from 18th February 1938

The Church Moves On

Page 15 from 9th June 1939

Stone Is Laid For Bristol Estate Church

Page 7 from 2nd April 1954

15 Cardinals For Lisieux

Page 1 from 28th May 1954

LEXDEN'S CHURCH The Opening Ceremony

The growing district of Leaden, Essex, served, as to its Catholic population. from Colchester, has now a commodious place of worship in the church, dedicated to St. Teresa of Lisieux, which the Bishop of Brentwood opened last Sunday when he celebrated the first Mass in the presence of a congregation of about three hundred persons. The building stands in Clairmont Road.

In the course of an address, Mgr. Doubleday, who was assisted by the Rev. T. W. Clarke, rector at Colchester, emphasised that the new church, which, his lordship said, had attractive qualities and possessed certain aspects of beauty, was merely the case for the altar. The altar was the essential thing in a church.

The Bishop added a hope that in the near future the Lexden church would be the centre of a parish of its own.

Under the auspices of the Catholic Social Guild a social evening is being arranged for next Saturday, at Westminster Cathedral Hall. A whist drive and a dance are items in the programme.




blog comments powered by Disqus