Page 5, 29th May 1942

29th May 1942
Page 5
Page 5, 29th May 1942 — Bishop Dey Confirms at Walsingham
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: Northern Command

Share


Related articles

Mgr. Parker At Walsingham Bishop Parker, Bishop Of...

Page 7 from 4th July 1941

Pilgrimage Programme

Page 1 from 19th May 1939

Slipper Chapel Is Walsingham Shrine

Page 1 from 15th August 1947

Ejuvenation For Chapel Shrine

Page 8 from 13th January 1984

Assumptionists Take 400 To Walsingham

Page 7 from 7th July 1950

Bishop Dey Confirms at Walsingham

Soldiers came to Walsingham recently when Bishop J. Dcy, Bishop in Ordinary to H.M. Forces, administered the Sacrament of Confirmation in the precincts of the Slipper Chapel.

Father B. S. James, administrator of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, told the story of Walsingham to the soldiers when they visited the site of the original shrine in the grounds of Walsingham Abbey.

Buglers heralded the sacred Host, and men of arms with fixed bayonets walked alongside, as beneath a canopy borne by officers the Sanctissimurn was brought into the Friday Market Place by the Senior Chaplain to the Northern Command (Father A. Parisotti, 0.B.E.). From there, the pilgrims slow marched to the Slipper Chapel singing hymns.

In the Slipper Chapel shelter, Father George Barrett, S.J., preached the sermon, and Bishop Dry gave Confirmation. Benediction followed.

The pilgrims filed through the Slipper Chapel afterwards, kneeling before the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, before returning to Walsingham. Many army chaplains were present, among them Fathers B. S. Farrell, S.J., and G. Flint, the organisers. Other clergy included Father G. Anstruther, 0.P., and Father J. Massey, deacon and subdeacon, Father Patrick, 0.F.M.Cap. of Walsingham, and Father A. T. Brewer, parish priest of Fakenham and Wells.




blog comments powered by Disqus