A Roving Causerie
Between William Giffard the Bishop, and William Gifford, the Archbishop, the difference in a vowel is but slender stuff to offer against confusion. It is the latter prelate whom we are to have in mind for the moment, because the story of William Gifford is just now news; it " ties up,in journalistic parlance, with a building which is much in the public eye : Rheims Cathedral. Within the walls of that restored and now consecrated building, it may be, there is a list preserved of Bishops from the time of St. Remi onwards; if so, the name is the of an Englishman, a man of Gloucester. shire stock, who in the reign of our oWn. King James the First rose to be Arch-. bishop of Rheims, Duke of Rheims, and First Peer of France. Brother Foley's Records are a source to which the interested reader can go for much on this matter; still more accessible is the notice printed in the D.N.B. Meanwhile, it is pleasant to set down even the bare fact that Cardinal Suhard's predecessors in office have included one, at least, from this side of the Channel. William Gifford owed his promotion to a long connection which began with Cardinal Allen and the English College and saw him, at one time, Rector of Rheims University.
Sir Griffith Henry Boynton's death transfers a baronetcy in the matter of religious allegiance. The new holder of the title, Sir Griffith Wilfrid Boynton, is a Catholic: he was received into the Church in 1914. His conversion, however, was not, by many years, the first in the family. In 1905, his elder sister, Miss Gladys Mary Boynton, became a Catholic. Ten years later that lady joined the " Messengers of the Faith," becoming one of the now well-known cornpany of workers who do so much to advance a knowledge of the Church's teaching from their headquarters in Manchester Street. The lecturers who have discoursed to non-Catholics at the periodical gatherings organised by the " Messengers " already make a long and distinguished roll.
The combination of Newman, Elgar and Southwark Cathedral might excusably conjure in some minds the thought of an exclusively Catholic association. Nor would the idea be really so very far out, because although the fine church in which "The Dream of Gerontius" was heard, last Saturday afternoon, now serves an Anglican diocese, it was not always thus alien. Before 1905, when the Church of England carved out a Diocese of Southwark for itself, thus making one in the still persisting list of duplications with Catholic sees, the church which rears its tower on the south side of London Bridge was known to all of us as St. Saviour's: St. Mary Overy had been a more remote title. An interesting old fabric it is, too, with much to appeal to the pilgrim, including a screen worthy to stand with the similar works at Winchester and St. Albans. Gower, the poet. lies there, with his poems as a hard support; and on the opposite side of the building there are sometimes found those who would literally hold a candle to Shakespeare, recumbent in alabaster. But the Catholic visitor, as such, will prefer to absorb what he can of the pre-Reformation atmosphere by lingering in the graceful eastern chapel whose gables look out upon the Borough.
"Southwark Cathedral," it must be admitted, has never been a title in popular use for our own Cathedral church in Lam beth Road. Westminster Cathedral, yes; and Liverpool Cathedral by anticipation and an accomplished crypt. But in Southwark Catholics go to " The Cathedral," still
more frequently to " St. George's." At Birmingham the faithful rarely name their Cathedral without invoking St. Chad; at Nottingham the Catholic man in the street dwells affectionately on St. Barnabas's. A policeman by the Irwell might perhaps guide us rightly if asked for Salford Cathedral, but left to ourselves we should set out for St. John's Cathedral, Salford. All of which gets us far away, topographically and otherwise, from South London and the " Dream."
Among journalists on the Continent a prominent place was filled by the late Mgr. Joseph Pauchard, whose death is a distinct loss to the Catholic press in Switzerland_ Thirty years good work in journalism is only one of a number of services to the Church by which Mgr. Pauchard's memory will be held in honour. His editorship of Freiburger Nachriehten was the chief of that writer's tasks; but there was also much work in connection with the organisation of the Catholic international information service. Mgr. Pauchard was likewise prominent on the Permanent Commission of Catholic newspaper conductors, an organisation centred at Breda, in Holland.
Kingston, Jamaica, where fire has ravaged the convent of the Immaculate Conception, has given the faithful other and still heavier knocks of ill-fortune. Nearly sixty years ago, there was the cyclone which wrecked churches and schools, and the present century has seen, as the island's worst calamity, the earthquake of 1907, when in twenty seconds as many churches and schools were again thrown down. Isolated fires and other disasters seem, at a first glance, to weigh but lightly in the scale against these visitations from Nature, but to the poor nuns whose home has been de-. stroyed this latest tragedy is overwhelming. The present year marks the fiftieth anniversary of one of Jamaica's most renowned workers, Fr. Joseph Dupont, S.J. A statue of honour preserved his memory. Earthquakes, however, are no respecters of persons, and in 1907 the memorial toppled
with so much more.