Fr. Philip Watts, S.J., who died last Saturday, was born in Ettgbaston, Birmingham, on June 21, 1813, and educated at Stonyhurst. He spent some years in business before joining the Society of Jesus at Roehampton in 1906. After his noviceship and philosophy at St. Mary's Hall, Stenyhurst, he taught at Hodder Place, the preparatory school of Stonyhurst, from 1910-12. He was ordained priest on July 31, •1917, and the following year he returned to Stonyhurst College as a master.
In 1934 he retired from the teaching staff of the college but remained there as librarian, curator of the museum and editor of the Stonyhurst Magazine.
}as Watts always took an active part in the life at Stonyhurst, to which ht was intensely devoted. He was conspicuous also for the personal interest which be took in the lives of the boys —an interest which did not end with their schooldays. At all gatherings of old boys he was always a prominent and popular figure.
Solemn Requiem was sung at Stonyburst prior to burial in the cemetery of the college.