Page 5, 29th October 1943

29th October 1943
Page 5
Page 5, 29th October 1943 — SCOTS MASONIC HALL IS NOW A CHURCH
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Organisations: Catholic Church
People: PETER F. ANSON

Share


Related articles

Doom Comes To Scotland's Fishing Industry

Page 4 from 7th July 1939

Recent Affairs In Scotland Crofters And Home Rule

Page 11 from 8th July 1938

In Brief ...

Page 8 from 1st September 1967

The Story Of The Old Roman Catholic Church

Page 8 from 26th July 1974

Rekindling The Northern Lights

Page 5 from 14th September 1984

SCOTS MASONIC HALL IS NOW A CHURCH

By PETER F. ANSON

Recently an ex-Masonic Hall within a few yards of the ruined cathedral of Fortrose in Scotland was bought, and is now being transformed into a Catholic church, under the same dedication as the cathedral—SS. Peter and Boni' face. The latter saint was an Irish missionary, also known as Curitan, who evangelised this part of Scotland during the eighth century. Most of the decorations land furniture are being carried out by the Benedictine monks of Prinknash.

Fortrose is situated in the modern Catholic parish of Beastly, and Mass is now celebrated here every Sunday whenever a priest is available.

About the year 1128, King David I founded the diocese of Ross and erected a cathedral at Rosemarkie on the upper part of the Moray Firth. Early in the fourteenth century a new cathedral was built at Chanonry, a mile distant, and in 1444 James II united the two little burghs into one town, renaming it Fortrose.

The greater part of this lovely red sandstone cathedral was pulled down after the Reformation, and to-day nothing is left but the south aisle of the nave and the Chapter House. It is said that Cromwell completed the desecration by using the stone to build a fort at Inverness.




blog comments powered by Disqus