U.S. Benedictines Lend Land To "Craft Agrarian" Community
What is described as a " craft
agrarian community " is being launched on a tract of 300 acres in Warren County, Pennsylvania, which has been lent for the purpose of a Benedictine Abbey.
The purpose of the community, its sponsors say, is to conduct the community " in the spirit of St. Benedict and after the pattern of the Danish folk schools."
It will provide opportunity for those joining the community to " find out if they can adapt themselves to a new way of life," it is stated, and will provide training in farming, the basic crafts and folk-arts.
The Director says he hopes to " develop in members and students a philosophy of radical Christian social reconstruction which will integrate all their activities and which finds its best expression in an agrarian community."
" Each accepted applicant," be adds, " shall, upon taking up residence in the community, be given his choice of any unallotted parcels of land designated for private use, no such parcel to exceed two acres.
" Each shall he given a reasonable time, not to exceed six months, to build a home and each shall be given free use of the land so long as he or his heirs shall occupy it. Each also shall have a proportionate share in the common use of such land as is not privately allotted."
A minimum of 15 grantees is stipulated and they must occupy the land and build homes by January 1, 1943.