From Our Own Correspondent
Mt. and Mrs Charles Carlin have turned their home, The Grange, Chaddesden, into a Red Cross hospital for the duration of the war.
Mrs Carlin once again finds herself a hospital commandant, as she was in the last war, when as early as October 21, 1914, she became commandant of the Bayley Red Cross Hospital, Derby Road, Nottingham.
This hospital enjoyed a wonderful reputation for efficiency. It was the first hospital in the Nottingham area to receive Belgian wounded, and although some 1,200 cases passed through It not a single case was lost.
Miss Lilian Birkin, as she then was, met her husband, Mr Charles Carlin, a London artist and specialist in church decoration, when he was admitted to the Bayley Hospital for treatment.
For her work during the Great War, Mrs Carlin wets awarded the O.B.E. and also the Medaille de la Reine Elizabeth. Mr8 Carlin was received into the Church in 1922.
WING FOR CRIPPLES When Mr and Mrs Carlin went to live at Chaddeaden, they fitted up one wing of their new home as a convalescent home for crippled children, and every summer batches of children selected by the Nottingham District Cripples' Guild have come to Chaddesden for a few weeks' rest and treatment.
The Grange haa its mon private chapel, dedicated to Bt. Francis, where Mass is regularly celebrated by privies front Derby. Mr Carlin designed the altar and himself painted the picture of Our Lady which hangs above it. Even the wax candles used an the chapel are made from wax supplied by bees kept on the estate. The Grange has ita own motor-ambulance.
Mr and Mrs Carlin are joint authors of a number of books.