Page 10, 2nd October 1970

2nd October 1970
Page 10
Page 10, 2nd October 1970 — Foundation stone laid for new Clifton Cathedral
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

People: ISHOP RUDDERHAM
Locations: Bristol

Share


Related articles

New School At Cheltenham

Page 12 from 1st November 1935

New Cathedral Consecrated

Page 1 from 6th July 1973

Two Stones

Page 7 from 22nd May 1953

Stone Goes Down In The Rain

Page 6 from 14th June 1957

Stone Laid For Swindon Church

Page 5 from 28th March 1952

Foundation stone laid for new Clifton Cathedral

BY A SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

BISHOP RUDDERHAM of Clifton, near Bristol, blessed and laid the foundation stone of the new Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul in Pembroke Road, Clifton, last Saturday.

The new cathedral is about a quarter of a mile from the present pro-cathedral, and the ceremony was attended by -hundreds of clergy and people of the diocese, besides civic dignitaries and representatives of the churches of other denominations.

The present Church of the Apostles was started in 1834, but so many difficulties arose with the geology of the site and shortage of money, that it was found necessary to modify the plans until only a makeshift adaptation was possible. For some years the fabric has been deteriorating so badly. that the lasting.safety of its roof structure could not 'be assured. Hence The necessity for a new cathedral.

£600.000 COST

The main cost of the building has been met by the generosity of a group of Catholic men. and is estimated at £600,000.

Standing before the rough wooden cross,, marking the site of the High Altar, Bishop Rudderham spoke of the joy with which the people had

gathered there, after such a long period of wondering and

waiting, to see the real significance of putting this building aside for Almighty God. As he blessed the stone and the foundation walls, they would he dedicated to the service of Almighty God.

The very generous offer to cover the cost of the building. he said came at a most opportune time. Very great changes had been introduced into the liturgy at the recent Vatican Council and so this cathedral had been planned entirely in the light of the new requirements, and would he the first cathedral in this country to be so constructed. It would be both a parish church and a cathedral, and the design catered for the needs of a parish, and also for Episcopal and Diocesan ceremonies.

Special care had been devoted to the lay-out, and although so many would he accommodated, no one would be further away than those who occupied the front pews of the old pro-cathedral were from the High Altar there.

This would be the mother church of the diocese as well as the local parish church, and he hoped it was going to he of use to all people within the diocese.




blog comments powered by Disqus