Fr. Cuthbert, 0.S.F.C.
A GREAT FRANCISCAN WORKER The death, at Assisi on March 22, of Fr. Cuthbert, 0.S.F.C., at the age of 73, whose grave illness was reported in the CATHOLIC HERALD last week, takes from the Franciscan Capuchin province one of its leading figures, a former Provincial for England and a writer and social
worker of • wide repute. His biography of St. Francis of Assisi brought him the M.A. degree, honoris causu, from Oxford University,
Fr. Cuthbert (Lawrence Anthony Hess) was born at Brighton in 1866. He had his education at St. Mary's College at Woolhampton, and at Capuchin houses of study. Entering the Order in 1881, he was ordained priest eignt years later, and at once engaged in parochial and missionary tasks in England. An enduring work with which he was long associated is the. annual Franciscan Mission in the Kentish hopflelde; that mission he organised, and led a, Superior, from 1905 onwards for seventeen years. Another side of his zeal and interest was shown in the foundation of the Catholic Nurses' Association,
In 1911 Fr. Cuthbert was made Superior of the Capuchin House of Studies, St. Anselm's, at Oxford. In that city he remained, a prominent worker in scholarship, until his appointment, in 1930, as President of the Capuchin Commiesion for Franciscan Research Studies at Assisi. He was twice Provincial Definitor, in 1911 and in 1928, and in 1922-25 he held office as Provincial.
A long list of published writings testify to Fr. Cuthbert's literary industry and power. His Life of 8t. Francis of Assisi is regarded as the book-in-chief; but with this, in the same line of thought, should be mentioned Saint Francis; an Historical Drama; 8t. Francis and Poverty; The .Romanticism, of St. Francis; and St. Francis and You. Among other books on Franciscan history and spirit were the account of The Friars, and How They Came to England; and The Capuchins: a Contribution to the History of the CounterRefermation. A study of St. Margaret of Cortona told the story of A Tuscan Penitent. In Christ was an exposition of the Christian life. De Torrente gives us a series of devotional papers.
On social questions and social duties, too, Fr. Cuthbert wrote, and tellingly. A book to recall in this connection is that on Socialism and Democracy; and another : Catholic Ideals in Social Life. Among C.T.S. pamphlets were For Christ's Sake, and The Working Man's Apostolate. To the Catholic Encyclopeedia Fr. Cuthbert contributed upwards of a score of articles, chiefly biographical. He was editor of God and the Supernatural, and of the Capuchins Classics.
Fr. Cuthbert died after only a week's illness, and reports from Italy say that the whole of Aesiei is in mourning for the saintly English priest who had endeared himself to rich and poor alike in the city of St. Francis.
Fr. Cuthbert's latest work, The _Mystery of the Redemptions, has been chosen as the CATHOLIC HERALD Book of the Week for Holy Week reading, and is reviewed on Page 4 by the Rev. Thomas Corbisley, S.J.
Rev. R. Trail!
MISSION WORK IN OXFORDSHIRE The Rev. Randolph Traill, B.A., died on March 22 at Birmingham, where he had been living since his retirement, last year, from parochial work at Thame. Ho was in his seventy-sixtb. year.
With the exception of an interval (1916-18) spent as a military chaplain during the Gi.eat War, Fr. Traill was at Theme for twenty-five years, where he founded the mission and built the present church.
He went to that small town in 1913 and saw the congregation grow from humble beginnings to its present extent of about 130 souls. His earlier ministry after his ordination in '1911 had been at Wroxton and at Brailes.
The Rev. P. Mahon
TWO HUNDRED PRIESTS PRESENT AT REQUIEM The Rev. Philip Mahon, parish priest of the Church of St. John, Standishgate, Wigan, collapsed and died in the churchyard, while saying his office, on Thursday of last week.
He was in his forty-ninth year.
A native of Preston, Fr. Mahon was educated at St. Edward's College, Liverpool; Valladolid,
Spain; and Upholland College, where he was ordained in 1916.
His first appointment was St. Clare's, Liverpool, where he served as curate for some twelve years. After a period of service at St. Elizabeth's, Litherland, Fr. Mahon was appointed rector of St.. John's in September, 1933.
For many years secretary to the Liverpool branch of the Apostolic Union of Secular Priests and the St. Joeeph's Society, Upholland, he was also Director of the Golden Book Fund for the Sanctuary and Blessed Sacrament Chapel of the Metropolitan Cathedral. Fr. Mahon collaborated with the Rev. Joseph Howard, M.A., at the inception of this scheme in 1931. The fund now stands at about £44,000.
Solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated in St. John's Church, on Monday last, in the presence of Dr. Downey, Archbishop of Liverpool, by the Rev. John Wilcock, M.A., parish priest of St. Elizabeth's, assisted by the Rev. T. A. Turner, Supervisor and Organiser of the Metropolitan Cathedral, and the Rev. Cuthbert L, Waring, M.A., parish priest of St, Mary's, Birehley. Other officers of the Mass were the Very Rev. Canon Dennett, Assistant Priest, Canons Flynn and Kelly, deacons at the Throne, the Rev. L. Curry, M.C. of the Mass, and the Rev. Cyril Taylor, M.C. at the Throne.
Mr G. H. Fitz-Maurice
BRITISH CONSUL IN THE NEAR AND FAR EAST
Mr Gerald Henry Fitz-Maurice, C.B., C.M.G., died on March 23 in his seventy-third year. He had been in retirement from Government service since 1921.
Upwards of fifty years ago Gerald Fitz-Maurice entered the Foreign tnnce. In 1891 he was Acting Vice
Continued at foot of next column.
Mgr. J. V. Warwick
LINKS WITH LISBON
Many past students of the English College at Lisbon will recall to mind, in learning of his death, the Right .Rev. Mgr. James Valentine Warwick, who for ten years was a professor at the college and at a later period returned as president. Mgr. Warwick retired in 1929. He died on the 22nd inst. at his home at Felpham, Sussex, after a long period of priestly service in the South.. wark diocese.
Born in London in 1857, Mgr. Warwick was educated at the Xaverian College at Mayfield, and at Sedgley Park, Cotton, and the English Colleges at Lisbon and Rome. After his ordination, in 1882, he taught at Lisbon until recalled to his diocese for mission work in South Landon. In turn he was at St. George's Cathedral, at Chatham, Croydon, 33alham, Tooting and Sutton; there followed six years (1911-17) in the presidency of the Lisbon College. He was made a Domestic Prelate in 1912.
In England again in 1917, Mgr. Warwick resumed parochial work as rector at East Grinstead, where he remained until hie retirement. On the South Coast lie enjoyed, in his declining days, well-earned rest after forty-seven years' work.
The interment took place in the cemetery attached to the college at Mayfield.
THE WORK OF THE GREAT ST. BERNARD From Switzerland there is news that Mgr. T. Bourgeois, head of the Augustinian Canons constituting the Order of the Great St. Bernard, died on January 22 at the mother-house of that Order at Martigny, in the Canton Valais.
Mgr. Bourgeois, who was eighty-three, had been in office for upwards of fifty years. The Order maintains not only the famous Alpine hospice established by St. Bernard of Menthon, but also a house on the Simplon Pass, and priestmembers minister to the Catholics of the Valais canton.
Dom Bede Polding, O.S.B.
ZEALOUS MISSIONER IN WALES AND LANCS.
We record with regret the death:
of Fr. Bede Polding, which took place in the Providence Hospital, St. Helens, on Friday, March 24, iit his 81st year.
Born in 1858 at Blackburn of an old Catholic family,. he received his education at Ushaw and, later on, at Ample.. forth, where he became a monk before he was twenty years of age.
Following his ordination in 1885 he spent eight years on the school teaching staff, and was particularly successful with the junior boys.
Afterwards he passed to missionary work and served in succession as curate in the Benedictine parishes at Merthyr Tydfil, Warrington, Cardiff and Brownedge. For eight years he was parish priest of Maryport, for twelve parish priest of Goosnargh. In 1930 the infirmities of old age compelled him to retire to his monastery, but he revived and again did useful work for several years as an assistant priest, this time at Grassen dale.
Hie body was taken to Ampleforth where, after a dirge and solemn requiem Mass in the Abbey Church, he was laid to rest by the Abbot and his brethren in the monastic cemetery.
Rev. A. H. Paine
EX-ANGLICAN CLERGYMAN The Rev. Arthur Heintz Paine, M.A., has died at Putney at the age of ninety-four. It is long Since he went into retirement, handicapped, blindness. Fr. old age' by a grwillg in Fr. Paine was a convert from the Anglican ministry, and had been upwards of forty years a priest. After his ordination he came to West London and for a long time was resident in Manchester Street, helping at the Church of St. James near by.
In that church the funeral requiem Mass was offered on Thursday, March 23. Fr. Paine served for some time, in his active years, on the committee of the Catholic Truth Society.
Count de la Poer
THE STORY OF AN ATTAINDER Towards the close of the seventeenthcentury, sentence of legal outlawry was passed upon John Power, who would otherwise have succeeded to the Barony of Le Power and Coroghmore, in the Irish Peerage. The fact of this outlawry, which the Committee of Privileges of the House of Lords has decided to be a sentence still in force, alone kept from the title the late Count John William Rivallon de la Poet.. who died suddenly last Monday at his home in County Waterford at the age of fifty-seven. Subject to the reversal of the attainder, the Count made good his claim to the barony.
Count de la Poer was the son of the late Edmond James de la Poer, whom Pope Pius IX created a Count of the Papal State in 1864; his mother was the Hon. Mrs Olivia Augusta, 0.B.E., daughter of the first Lord Emly; that lady will have widespread sympathy in the loss of her eldest son. Count John Wan educated at the Oratory School. He was a retired major in the 4th Leicestershire Regiment, and had seen service in the Great War. He formerly held the office of His Majesty's Lieutenant for the county and city of Waterford, and in 1913 was High Sheriff. In 1907 he married Muriel, daughter of Captain the Hon. Robert Best; two years ago he was left a widower.
Like his father, Count de In Poer was a Knight of Malta. Countess de la Poor, his mother, is a Lady of Grace of St. John of Jerusalem.
Consul at Van, and thereafter his career gave him a succession of posts in various countries : he was in turn Consul at Erzeroum and at Trebizond; Vice-Consul at Smyrna; Third Dragoman of the Embassy at Constantinople; Acting-Consul-General at Salonika; and British Commissioner for the Aden Frontier Delimitation.
In 1905 his field of work was again at Constantinople, where he held the offices, successively, of Consul, Second Dragoman, and Chief Dragoman.
For his services Mr Fitz-Maurice reeei.ed the C.M.G., in 1897, and in 1905 the further honour of the C.B. wee cenferred upon him.