AFTER the Laid Supper Christ left the Upper Room, crossed the Brook Cedron and with His disciples entered the Garden of Gethsemane.
Today on this hallowed spot stands a well kept grotto which is considered to be the place of Judas' betrayal. In another part of the Garden, upon the foundations of the first Basilica erected in memory of Our Lord's Agony. Is the latest church, dedicated in 1921 as the Church of All Nations.
The roof is formed of 12 small domes—named to honour the Christian nations whose offerings made the shrine possible. Light diffuses over the spacious interior from purple windows and the altar is highlighted by a mosaic of Christ in Agony. The Church is used only by Latin Catholics.
The great facade fronting the wide thoroughfare that leads from the Dead Sea Valley to the Holy City is entirely in mosaic and represents Christ offering His sufferings to His Father.
The garden itself, in the care of the Franciscans, is of special interest because the eight gnarled olive trees are said to be the same ones that were there at the time of Christ's Passion.
In the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, soon to be repaired and restored, is the Tomb of Christ. l'he door to the sepulchre is low and narrow and leads into the first of two small chambers.
The outer one, the Chapel of the Angel, is called so because it was there that the angel, sitting on the recently rolled away stone, announced the Resurrection. The pedestal in the centre of this room contains a fragment of that stone.
An even smaller door leads into the adjoining chapel — the Tomb of Christ. All that can he seen in this cell, where three is a crowd, is the slab of marble covering the rock upon which the Body of Christ was laid.