Annual Visit to Hazlewood, Yorks.
St. Leonard's chapel at Hazlewood Castle, near Tadcaster, is the only church in Yorkshire which has preserved the Faith since the pre-Reformation period. It was founded in 1286 by a descendant of one of the Vavasours, who came to England with William the Conqueror.
The family resided at Hazlewood until about thirty years ago, and although the castle is no longer in Catholic hands the chapel still remains a Catholic place of worship, and Mass is offered there regularly by the Rev. Paul Kelly, of Tadcaster.
On Sunday, July 19, Catenians of Wetherby will visit Hazlewood chapel, when the annual Mass for deceased members will be offered by Fr. Kelly at 8.30 a.m. Breakfast will be held at the Star Hotel, Wetherby.