The organ of the chapel of the Palace of Versailles is now being completely restored by the French Fine Arts Department. This organ dates hack to about 1710 and was first repaired by Cliquot under Louis XV,
In 1875 the heavy oak console which faces the public was added, and the beautiful keys of mother-of-pearl and ivory decorated with the fleur de 1 ys were replaced by a modern keyboard. The original keys were then used on a small organ of the XVIII century in the church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris. The Fine Arts Department is now replacing these original keys on the Versailles organ, reconstituting the original set of 21 and adding a new set of 18 for the needs of modern music.