Page 1, 4th October 1940

4th October 1940
Page 1
Page 1, 4th October 1940 — CALDEY ABBEY CHURCH DESTROYED BY FIRE
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

People: Abbey Church

Share


Related articles

Abbot Le Bail

Page 1 from 5th October 1956

The Caldey Church Is Consecrated

Page 8 from 22nd July 1960

Abbot Of Caldey

Page 1 from 4th December 1959

Caldey Monks Issue "two-dab" Postage Stamps

Page 2 from 25th May 1973

Pastorals By Radio For The S. West

Page 1 from 9th October 1959

CALDEY ABBEY CHURCH DESTROYED BY FIRE

Caldey Abbey Church, together with the " Cottage Monastery," the original building erected by the Caldey Benedictines now occupied by Cistercians, was completely destroyed by fire on Wednesday last.

At about 7 p.m. one of the monks observed flames issuing from an upper win

dow and raised the alarm. The Community were quickly on the spot and fought the flames desperately with extinguishers. stirrup pump' and fire buckets. A strong breeze fanned the tames, which spread rapidly to the church roof. Within a few minutes the fire had reached gigantic proportions. Whilst the monks were trying to cut off the rest of the Monastery and thus isolate the fire, the islanders, including the women and children, worked energetically carrying water and removing furniture from the guest quarters, refectory. study-rooms, workshops. It was thought impossible to obtain help from lenby as it was low tide and it was known that the boats would be high and dry on the sands at Tents'', Harbour.

R.A.E. SPEED BOAT HELP

The fire brigade, however, managed to cross with an R.A.F. speed boats complete with their equipment. They placed

their hose in the village pond and by playing a strong pressure of water on either end of the burning building, prevented the fire from spreading.

The church is a complete ruin. Its famous high altar constructed of stones taken from pre-Reformation monasteries, was surmounted by a beautiful reredos, of which no trace is left. The oak choir stalls and organ were of considerable value. The whole of the library with its contents was destroyed. Nothing remains of tie Sacristy. a study-room, sub-Prior's toom, sleeping quarters and various offices.




blog comments powered by Disqus