BY JOE JENKINS
A STOCKPOR I FAMILY fled their home last week when council workers inadvertently drilled through a wall of asbestos, exposing newlyborn twins to a cloud of poisonous dust.
Catholic couple James and Jane Foy, sons Anthony, seven, James, five, and 13week-olds, Patrick and Daniel, continued to live in their council house for three days before they were moved to a hotel.
Denton and Reddish MP Andrew Bennett was swift to condemn Stockport Council, which employed a private company to carry out maintenance work on the Foys' house.
"I believe the chief executive or the head of technical services ought to think about resigning on this matter," he said Mrs Foy, who told the Herald on Tuesday that plans for the twins' christening at St Mary's, Heaton Norris, had been put on hold, said: "We're absolutely horrified. We just can't believe they would let this happen.
"The terrifying thing is any of us could become ill at any time within the next 20 years and it could be caused by the asbestos.
"Every time the children
have a cough I'll he scared stiff." Stockport Council has announced that the bulk of the Foys' possessions will be destroyed. The only possession to be spared is a leather sofa, which escaped saturation by the dust.
The Foys hope to move back into their house this weekend.
A Council spokesman said "Obviously this has been a very difficult time for them and we are providing them with a second room at the hotel where they are staying to ease their situation."