Connock, a priest of the Diocese of Clifton. He was 83.
Born in Bedminster, Bristol, on December 13, 1914, Fr Connock was ordained as a priest in the Church of England on 1950 having studies at Oxford. He held various posts and at one time Gilbert worked in the Mission to Seamen, serving in Hamburg, Glasgow and London.
Until 1984, Fr Connock was Rector of two parishes in the Anglican Diocese of Chelmsford. He retired from this post in 1984 and returned to live in Bristol. In April 1994 both he and his wife Gwyneth were received into full communion with the Catholic Church by Bishop Mervyn Alexander in Clifton Cathedral. He spoke of this occasion as being one of great joy and fulfilment.
Following an application to the Holy Father, permission was given for Gilbert to be ordained as a priest in the Catholic Church. He was ordained on March 30, 1996. While the application process was underway, Gilbert concluded work on his doctoral thesis for Glasgow University concerning Medieval Religious Drama.
As a priest Fr Connock was formally attached to the Cathedral Parish where he and Gwyneth made many friends. However he also helped in St Gerard's church, Knowle, an area of the city which he knew very well.
Following a period of ill health, Fr Connock died on November 15.
At the Funeral Mass, Bishop Mervyn Alexander recalled someone who knew Gilbert describing him as "a man of disciplined devotion and complete integrity" who, though suffering from ill health, continued to minister as long as possible, urged on by the love of Christ.
Over 30 priests concelebrated the Requiem Mass, after which Fr Connock was buried at the Cemetery of Holy Souls in Bristol. May he rest in peace.
FR GERALD Lamx FR GERALD Lox died at Blackpool's Victoria Hospital on 23 November.
Fr Lomax was born in Preston on 23 May 1926. He attended St Ignatius Central school, Preston and worked at Leyland Motors, Leyland. He studied for the priesthood at the Beda College in Rome.
He was ordained to the priesthood on 18 March 1972 at English Martyrs, Preston and then served as Bursar at St Michael's Junior Seminary until he was appointed assistant priest at St Anthony's Preston in 1976. He served as parish priest of Our Lady of the Well, Fernyhalgh from 1978 to 1989 and Mater Amabilis, Ambleside from 1989 until 1993 when he retired to St Winefride's in Bispham.
His Requiem Mass was held at English Martyrs, Preston, on Tuesday. May he rest in peace.