RATCLIFFE COLLEGE students have celebrated their 2008 GCSE success at their annual certificates presentation evening.
The headmaster, Peter Farrar, congratulated staff and students on the pleasing results: able students secured large numbers of A* and A grades in their subjects, and there were also excellent results in the lower -grade passes, with 95 per cent of all GCSE results being at Grade C or better.
The headmaster also thanked the year group for their very generous contributions to wider school life. The record 30 new students who joined the sixth form in September from other schools were also congratulated on their achievements. Ratcliffe College now has its largest ever sixth form, a reflection both of the out standing facilities offered in the new sixth form centre and the high quality allround education that the boys and girls enjoy.
Ratcliffe College, on the Fosse Way about six miles north of Leicester, was founded on the instructions of Blessed Fr Antonio Rosmini-Serbati in 1845 originally as a seminary. In 1847 the buildings were converted for use as a boys' boarding school_ The school became coeducational in the mid-1970s.
The school was designed by Augustus Welby Pugin, who is associated with Catholic architecture throughout the Midlands and north of England. The college square was designed by Joseph Hansom, the designer of the Hansom cab. Modem buildings include a Byzantine-style church.
0_FB_ V13-3_1 StiCa_01 1