Page 3, 5th June 1964

5th June 1964
Page 3
Page 3, 5th June 1964 — How John joined Elizabeth
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Jerusalem

Share


Related articles

The Chu Ccii

Page 15 from 30th June 1939

Centenary Of First Redemptorist Parish

Page 7 from 4th June 1948

Florence Nightingale" Hospital Celebrates 50 Years' Work

Page 1 from 7th May 1948

The Church Moves On

Page 15 from 16th June 1939

Martyrs' Fourth Centenary Celebrated At Canterbury

Page 11 from 26th May 1939

How John joined Elizabeth

IN N.W.8

A LONDON church, built 100

years ago and moved stone by stone to another site 34 years later, celebrates its centenary on June 24. A special reception will he given for the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Cardinale.

This is the church of St. John of Jerusalem, St. John's Wood, built and paid for by Sir George Bowyer and opened by Cardinal Wiseman.

Costing its builder £20,000 the church of St. John ie as a gift to the Sisters of Mercy and was intended for the use of the patients in their Great Ormond Street Hospital, they called St. Elizabeth's.

Sir George had such enthusiasm for the Order of Si. John of Jerusalem that it as his great wish to see it re-established in England.

It was for this reason that the hospital became known as the Hospital of St. John and St. Elizabeth.

There was great lamentation in Bloomsbury when it was decided to sell the existing hospital to the Children's Hospital next door and move to St. John's Wood. It all had a happy ending. The hospital went—into a brand new building. The church went along. too, stone by stone, to its present site.




blog comments powered by Disqus