Page 5, 5th May 1961

5th May 1961
Page 5
Page 5, 5th May 1961 — If Manning came back to St. Charles' Square
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Where Have All The Children Gone . ..?

Page 7 from 19th September 1980

Education-how Old The New

Page 4 from 29th January 1937

Living And Learning

Page 6 from 26th August 1960

Joseph Rejects Bishops' Plan For London Schools

Page 1 from 23rd August 1985

Baker Green Light For London College

Page 1 from 24th February 1989

If Manning came back to St. Charles' Square

BUILDINGS GO UP ONE BY ONE

By

BERNARD COCKSHUTT ALWAYS interested in the cause of education, how it would gladden Cardinal Manning's heart to see today the site of the University he planned in St. Charles' Square, Kensington.

With open spaces, gracious trees, grass and play areas, the square Is more than just a collection of modern buildings, designed for educating the young.

The Catholic atmosphere Is there, too, to be sensed immediately upon entering any of the schools and. surrounded by convents, helped by the prayers of the enclosed Carmelite nuns, whose convent fills one side of the square. the area is a Catholic lung fur the district.

Bought long ago as the site of a Catholic University, the square was first occupied by the Oblates of SI. Charles, and became a training college for women teachers staffed by the Sacred Heart nuns.

* * A temporary church was built during the thirties and a few years after the war an extensive building programme started on sites which suffered during the blitz.

First St. Charles' Primary School, then the Cardinal Manning School for boys, a secondary modern, open in April, 1955. followed three years later by the Cardinal Manning School for girls.

Now the temporary church, which for the last few years has housed the office workers of the Crusade of Rescue is to be demolished and on this site will be built nurseries for young children. The new church is dedicated to St. Pius X.

With modern well equipped schools, sympathetic teaching, ample play space, from St. Charles' Square must surely come Catholic citizens of the future to gladden the Cardinal educator's heart.




blog comments powered by Disqus