Page 1, 7th July 1961

7th July 1961
Page 1
Page 1, 7th July 1961 — WORK STARTS ON HOLY SEPULCHRE
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Jerusalem

Share


Related articles

Proposal To Close Holy Sepulchre

Page 1 from 7th March 1947

Services Again At Holy Sepulchre

Page 5 from 16th December 1949

Holy Sepulchre Closed First Time In Century

Page 6 from 26th February 1943

Knights Of The Holy Sepulchre Invested

Page 6 from 15th June 2007

`come, See The Place Where They Have Laid Him'

Page 9 from 26th March 1999

WORK STARTS ON HOLY SEPULCHRE

D FSTORATION work was bell.. gun on Monday in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, opening the way for healing the dilapidated church and for concord between the various Christian communities for which the site of Christ's Resurrection has been a hone of contention for centuries.

Battered by earthquake and seared by fire, the basilica has been held together by steel girders and struts for more than a generation.

AOREED

After two years of testing. including examination of foundations and walls, the restoration now begun is in the south transept of the basilica—the site of the Stone of Unction, traditionally believed to be the place where the body of Jesus was embalmed for burial.

The initial phase of restoring the church was agreed to in February, 1958, by representatives of the Christian communities which control the basilica. The agreement was signed after four years of negotiations.

The Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Armenian communities each paid one third of the preliminary costs of nearly 1113,000.

The agreement also calls for the repair of the south facade of the church—the main entrance. Unlike most of the present church which was rebuilt by the Greek Ortho dos in 1910 following a devastating fire, the façade is wholly the work of the Crusaders.

In the course of recent work on the sacristy. walls from the earlier basilica erected in Constantinian and Byzantine times appeared under the modern plaster.

When the foundations of the facade are restored, the steel buttresses that have shored up the entrance since 1927 can be removed.




blog comments powered by Disqus