Passionist Fathers returned to Aston Hall, Staffordshire, on Sunday, to commemorate the centenary of the death of the Venerable Dominic Barberi, who founded the Order in this country at Aston in 1842. And with them went the Catholics of the nearby town of Stone in their hundreds.
Every section of the Church was represented, from tiny tots in push chairs to invalids in wheel chairs: there were Dominican Sisters and Christian Brothers, Children of Mary. Scouts and Guides and among the clergy who made the two-mile walk were 74-years-old Rev. E. R. Lindsay (Stone's Parish Priest) and 70-years-old Canon Bernard Moore, of Oulton Abbey. The Very Rev. Augustine Lane, C.P. (Provincial) preached.
Councillor C. H. Shrill, secretary of the Metropolitan Catholic Teachers' Association, was made an alderman of the Hendon Council at a meeting early this week. He has been on the Council as a Conservative for over three years. He is active in many Catholic societies.
Byzantine Rite at Swansea
On Sunday last, Mass according to the Byzantine-Slav Rite, was celebrated in the Church of the Sacred Heart, Morriston. The celebrant was Fr. V. Dzioba, and the Proper of the Mass was sung by the Ukrainian Choir from the Industrial Hostel, Morriston. This is the second time that Mass according to the Eastern Rite ha e been said in Swansea.
A Sutton and district branch of the Southwark Diocesan Association of Catholic Trade Unionists has now been formed. and at a meeting held on September 27 the following were elected: Chairman, Mr. Denis 'Hogg; secretary, Mrs. D. M. Pettingell; treasurer, Mr. A. E. Green.