Page 15, 8th July 1938

8th July 1938
Page 15
Page 15, 8th July 1938 — CHELMSFORD PILGRIMAGE 2,000 Do Honour To Blessed John Paine
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Silvertown

Share


Related articles

East Anglian Pilgrimage To Dunvvich

Page 6 from 10th September 1948

Chelmsford's Martyr Pilgrimage In Honour Of Blessed John...

Page 14 from 1st July 1938

One Thousand Go To Chelmsford Benediction Given On...

Page 14 from 21st July 1939

Bishop To Give Benediction On Cricket Ground

Page 14 from 30th June 1939

Blessed John Paine

Page 14 from 23rd July 1937

CHELMSFORD PILGRIMAGE 2,000 Do Honour To Blessed John Paine

Nearly 2,000 pilgrims assembled at Chelmsford last Sunday to pay visible homage to Blessed John Paine, who was martyred there in 1582.

Assembling at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, the pilgrims, in processional order led by cross bearer and acolytes, proceeded to the Chelmsford Cricket Ground, where Fr. Hugh Pope, 0.P., gave an address.

Speaking of Blessed John Paine, who worked amongst the Chelmsford Catholics in Queen Elizabeth's reign and was arrested and sentenced for high treason, Fr. Pope remarked that old chronicles revealed that " He was so loved by the whole of Chelmsford " that the people rose against the full sentence (of being hanged, drawn and quartered) being carried out and insisted that he must die in peace upon the gallows.

Smiled on the Gibbet

A martyr was " one who bears witness." John Paine bore witness to his Catholic Faith and he lay down his life for the Supreme Truth that is Almighty God, the great Rewarder.

The Chief Martyr of all, Our Blessed Lord, was cool and calm amongst the excited rabble. It was this coolness and calm that was the chief characteristic of our own martyrs. Blessed John Paine was always unruffled and on his gibbet he smiled.

Benediction was then given by Mgr. Doubleday, Bishop of Brentwood, at an altar temporarily erected on the ground.

Pontifical Benediction The procession then reassembled and the Blessed Sacrament was carried by the Bishop back to the church, where he again gave Pontifical Benediction.

The pilgrimage was arranged by the Knights of St. Columba (Brentwood Province) and their Provincial Chaplain, Canon M. Wilson (P.P. Chelmsford), and Knights and Squires, headed by Provincial Deputy J. E. Otterson, schoolchildren, Children of Mary, men and women, came from all parts of Essex.

Many priests were present, including the Very Rev. Mgr. W. O'Grady, V.G. (Walthamstow), Canons Dacey (Brentwood) and Fitzpatrick (Silvertown), and Frs. McKenna (Brentwood), Cotter (Dagenham), Walsh (Braintree), Quinn (Chelmsford), Walmsley (Halstead), Canisious (Hatfield Peverel) and Rogers, C.SS.R.




blog comments powered by Disqus