Page 15, 9th June 1939

9th June 1939
Page 15
Page 15, 9th June 1939 — BAREFOOTED PILGRIMS AT WALSINGHAM
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Boston

Share


Related articles

Journey's End For 22 Walsingham Pilgrims

Page 1 from 26th September 1958

Pilgrimage To Walsingham

Page 7 from 6th March 1970

Scots Pilgrims Pipe At Walsingiiam

Page 7 from 4th October 1946

25 Pilgrims Walking To Walsingham

Page 7 from 17th September 1954

Walsingiiam

Page 2 from 4th June 1954

BAREFOOTED PILGRIMS AT WALSINGHAM

Prom a Special Correspondent

WALSINGIIAM.

Mgr. John Bigland, who this year will be seventy years old, and some of the ninety pilgrims who accompanied him by road from Boston, Lincolnshire, to-day on pilgrimage, tramped the old Walsingham Pilgrims' Way without shoes and stockings, thus reverting to a practice which appears to have been general between the Slipper Chapel and Walsingham in pre-Reformation days.

The Shoe House It is this practice which is considered likely to have given the Slipper Chapel (also for years known as The Shoe House) its name, pilgrims changing their footwear there and probably making their confessions before proceeding on the last mile of their itineraries to the Shrine.

Fr. Damien, 0.S.F.C., preached to the Boston pilgrims after Fr. Bruno ScottJames, priest custodian of the Shrine, had welcomed them. Mgr. Bigland gave Benediction.

Mgr. Bigland, who was converted at the age of nineteen and has had a distinguished career, last year wrote a learned defence of the present Shrine, which appeared in the CAT-Home HERALD,




blog comments powered by Disqus