Page 15, 9th June 1939

9th June 1939
Page 15
Page 15, 9th June 1939 — Of Persons And Places
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags

Locations: Dublin, London

Share


Related articles

"his Pen Was Blest"

Page 1 from 29th March 1940

A Roving Causerie

Page 10 from 8th September 1939

A Roving Causerie

Page 15 from 3rd March 1939

In " Persons And Places "

Page 14 from 11th March 1938

Of Persons And Places

A Roving Causerie

By G. ELLIOT ANSTRHTHER.

HE Oxford Movement, yes; P that upheaval of feeling, with T its inflow to the Church, is well known to most of us—to many more of us, doubtless, since the reading of the CATHOLIC HERALD'S supplement of a week ago. But the _ Brighton Movement : there one touches less familiar ground. For this reason it was good to have again a reminder, by Mr A. R. BurgesBayly's letter in the Universe, of the extensive part played by the Sussex town in the matter of supplying converts.

The year of the " Brighton Con :versions," as Mr Burges-Bayly remembers, was 1910, when six 'Anglican clergymen made their submission from two churches alone, the Annunciation and St. Bartholomew's. That was a good move, but not quite on the scale to justify description ae a Movement; and It is for the right to speak of a "Brighton Movement" that this note would plead, on behalf of the South.

For the beginning of the Movement the history must be taken farther back, to the year 1878, when St. Bartholomew's lost a small band of its leading workers, including Philip Fletcher and James Greene, and found the loss to be that of a vanguard. 'Two hundred more of Brighton's people from St. Bart's followed their curates into Catholic security during the next two years. Active converts, too, many of these fledglings of the Faith proved themselves to be — for example, the former master of the choir-school, Charles F. Emery, who became one of Fr. Fletcher'e lieutenants in the work of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom. Mr Burges-Bayly, as he is proud to proclaim, is himself one of the many ex-Anglican clergymen who were closely linked with the Anglo-Catholic move1) ant in Brighton.

* * * *

ST. GEORGE'S HALL, in Westminster Bridge Road, S.E., is to be sold. Does that announcement call up memories among South Londoners—of the earlier chapters in the buildings history, of its predecessor on the site, of the connections preserved in its name? Half a century or so ago. when St. George divided his titular patronage in those parts between the Cathedral and the parochial school, having as yet no hall dedicate, a dour building — the adjective is for external application only —stood where St. George's Hall stands now. Upstairs it gave rooms to the Southwark Young Men's Catholic Association, a cumbersome piece of verbal luggage, which packed neatly, however, into the " Symea" of popular use. Downstairs, the house was making history as the first public shop and depot of the Catholic Truth Society. Then came a time when the old gave place to the new. Hope and enthusiasm were high in those who listened, on the opening day, to the eloquence of the first Lord Russell of Killowen, giving the hall a worthy send-off. Later, South London's Catholic Five Hundred, and other concerns, took a hand in the building's use and fortunes. For a long time past St. George's Hall has been in secular employment. Catholics can look forward, in that neighbourhood, to the spacious hall by which the Diocese of Southwark is to commemorate the jubilee of its Archbishop-Bishop.

* * * *

THERE must be many visitors to I Buckfast Abbey who know not Buckfastleigh. Though the little town is only a mile or two away, it can be " off the lines " for a good deal of the coach traffic which nowadays vies with the railway in taking pilgrims to the Dart valley. Yet Buckfastleigh stands. thereabouts, for what there is of urban life and activity; and it is now going to be busy with something more: the building of St. Benedict's, another Catholic outpost in Devon. As the CATHOLIC HERALD told us last week, the Abbot performed, lately, the ceremony of cutting the first sod, and in due course there will be altar and Mass again, as in old days there were in the Church of Holy Trinity. No bucks find a forest opening to-day by which to come out for drink and pasturage; but the town keeps In its name—" Buckfastleigh " means the lea, or meadow-land, of the fastness of the deer—memory of the time when the Cistercians chose such a terrain in which to settle and build.

$: * * tr FR. GREGORY CLEARY, 0.F.M., whose friends are legion in this country as in Ireland, has a good word to say for Adam and Eve. The learned Franciscan has compiled an historical sketch of Dublin's well-known centre of the Order on Merchants' Quay, and its predecessors since the early days when the friars first went to that city; and it is here that Adam and Eve come in. It was when they were in Cook Street, early in the seventeenth century, that the Franciscans sought, and found, ' public " protection. Close by their new home, Fr. Cleary tells us, " hung out the sign of a certain hostelry or tavern, displaying in full figure the effigy of our first parents. Though time and again the friars were compelled to change their refuge from one part of Cook Street to another, the sign of ' Adam and Eve' ever seemed to overshadow and protect them. At one time our 'Mass Room' was in a back room of that tavern itself. To go to Mass to the Franciscan oratory came to be known as going to • Adam and Eve.' In those Recusancy days 'Adam and Eve ' was a password to the initiated and a blind to the enemy. . . . The designation still clings to the church."

* * * *

DUELIN'S old tavern chapel, then, has gone, but not without passing on its sign and title, by the lips of the Continued at foot of next column.




blog comments powered by Disqus